Bharat Bhavan Bhopal is an architecture monument designed by ar. Charles Correa. One of the most unique national institutes in India, Bharat Bhavan is a center for performing and visual arts.
|Project name||Bharat Bhavan Bhopal|
|Location||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh|
|Building type||Art center|
- The site of Bharat Bhavan Bhopal is on gently sloping overlooking the lake.
- The natural contour of the site has been used to create a series of courtyards and terrace gardens around which different types of facilities designed.
- Bharat Bhavan Bhopal covers a variety of Art forms including Tribal Art, a library of Indian poetry, gallery of contemporary art, workshop of sculpture.
- concept of courtyards reflects the idea of Correa’s maze or puzzle planning in Bharat Bhavan Bhopal.
- A journey through open to sky courtyard and semi-open spaces creates a type of experience that reflects the idea of Correa’s Jawahar Kala Kendra.
- Charles Correa used a Grid pattern for designing Bharat Bhavan Bhopal in such a way that it creates a different level of movement throughout the site.
- “A journey through courtyard” is achieved in Bharat Bhavan.
- Charles Correa designed this building in such a way that it reflects Bhopal’s own organizational layout.
- The courtyard provides light and ventilation to the sunken covered spaces in Bharat Bhavan.
- The amphitheater where open-air performance takes place is designed in such a way that it overlooks the lake view.
- The inner side of the courtyard consists of glass and panels for light and ventilation and outer side of the building consists of a large door for security reasons.
- Bharat Bhavan is one of correa’s sophesticated expressions of the ideas of maze, of progression, of his design statements.
- Terrace garden overlooking to the open space and courtyard creates a visual experience in the site.
- Main three courtyards of the structure used to access all art museums and libraries of the site, Arrow shows the movement of walkthrough staircases connections.
- Because of the profile of the site, it creates steps toward water creating an overlooking lake view.
- Bharat Bhavan Bhopal designed in such a way that From the entrance you directly enter to terrace garden and with the help of a staircase and ramp you can circulate the entire site.
- concept of Bharat Bhavan is called a “non-building structure”.
- when you enter the site you cant feel it as a building or structure, because of its idea of courtyards.
- Bharat Bhavan Bhopal witnessed free flow circulation in the premises which were provided to avoid accumulation at certain points.
- Red sandstone.
- Flemish bond bricks.
- Ashlor stone on external facade.
- Exposed concrete.
- marble and granite on the internal side.
- Landscaping is done on the rooftop of Bharat Bhavan Bhopal to keeping a building cooler and making a view beautiful.
- The roof of Bharat Bhavan is covered with the greens making it roof garden overlooking to the lake.
Bharat Bhavan Bhopal divided into following sections
Roopankar is a museum of fine arts where all types of traditional folk and tribal art are present. Exhibition of different traditional arts is exhibited in roopankar. It also consists of workshop space for the visitors to participate in the Bharat Bhavan (printmaking and ceramics workshops).
Rangmandal is a theatre to perform traditional styles of drama.
- Vagarth consists of indian poetry, library, and archive.
- Anhad is a Library Of Classical & Folk Music of India.
- Chhavi is the centre of classical cinema.
Thank you for visiting for more similar project visit here Architectopedia. Follow us on Facebook page for latest updates.