Jawahar Kala Kendra is an art center designed by renowned architect Charles Correa. Jawahar Kala Kendra is constructed in 1991 and the structure is inspired by the original city planning of Jaipur.
Introduction and Design concept
|Project name||Jawahar Kala Kendra|
|The total area of the site||9.5 acres|
- Jawahar Kala Kendra is inspired by the Jaipur city planned by Raja Jai Singh in the 18th century. Jaipur city design represents the navgrah(nine heavenly body) the Mandal of the nine planets.
- when you see the city plan you see one square is get moved to the other side because of the hills.
- The wonderful thing about the Jaipur is that Jai Singh who was the ruler who built it had these two takes on the sky. One was the oldest myths of the nine planets Navgrah.
- The other was the newest myths of science which Charles Correa tried to understand the sun and the moon but a true instrument that was not movable because that spoils the whole accuracy and these are huge values which science brought.
- Jai Singh combined both in the city and that is wonderful because he was really looking backward and forward in one gesture.
- So when Charles Correa was asked to design Jawahar Kala Kendra Jaipur in memory of Jawaharlal Nehru he designed the contemporary building that was based on the same navgrah connecting past and present in one integrated gesture in honor of Nehru and of Jai Singh.
- Charles Correa distributed the navgrah in 9 building square connecting internally with each other.
- The brief prepared by the state gov. Listed the no. Of items like art galleries, exhibition halls, craft workshops, Theatres, and so forth.
- Correa took this requirement and ingeniously assigned each one of them to an appropriate planet.
- One of the squares is moved to recall the gesture of Jai Singh that created the plan of Jaipur and we find again the path that moves through it all.
- Charles Correa designed the building blocks in such a way that some are open to the sky and some are covered.
- There are a total of nine planets represented as squares and one of them is moved to the right and the open space which is created because it gives the public access to mangal.
- Similarly, each one of the other nine planets has its own unique plan and form illustrating the traditional quality of that planet including its suspicious colors.
Jawahar Kala Kendra plan
- Mangal is an administration square and main entry to the Jawahar Kala Kendra from where you can access the whole structure internally.
- Guru is the library of the Jawahar Kala Kendra and Shukra which is moved square has a theatre in it.
- That movement gives access to the Mangal so we enter Mangal the planet of power.
- On the dome of mangal, Rajasthan traditional artists have depicted a giant Cosmograph representing the entire manifest world every tree, every fish, every animal, every mountain.
- the landscaping is also designed considering the planet’s astrological values.
- A beautiful depiction of nakshatra representing ancient Indian history.
- Guru is the library of the Jawahar Kala Kendra which has books consists of ancient Indian history, art, culture.
- The landscape is designed around the library creates a more natural ambiance.
- Library openings are designed in such a way that it creates an interconnection with the closed space and the open space.
- pergola designed on top of the pathways gives different experience while walking through the structures.
- Openings are designed in such a way that it creates a visual communication with the green space around the library.
- Long corridors that connects you with nature and fine artistry.
- Shukra is moved right as per the concept of Jaipur city planning. Shukra creates an entrance square for the Jawahar Kala Kendra Jaipur.
- Every square in Jawahar Kala Kendra has its unique design, concept and most importantly use.
- Interior color is dark brown in Shukra is given as per the colors of the real planets.
- The detailed engraving of the cosmic art highlighting the astronomical theory of ancient India.
- This space is a treat, both for the eyes and the mouth.
Budh (Lok Kala Kendra)
- Lok Kala Kendra is designed in such a way that it creates an interconnection between open and closed space.
- It creates a space where we came from the closed corridor and open directly in it.
Ketu and Shani (Museum)
- An iconic gallery exhibiting a number of mesmerizing art pieces.
- The amphitheater which is inspired by the baoris delicacy is the heart of the Jawahar Kala Kendra.
- In the center is the ninth square and open to sky amphitheater of Jawahar Kala Kendra jaipur.
- This is crucial so when you move around through the other square you sense your orientation through the glimpses you get of this empty center.
- These walls that signify different symbols related to indian astronomy.
- On the red sandstone walls of each planet is inlaid its traditional symbol in white marble and black kadappa stone.
Thanks for visiting for more project like jawahar kala kendra jaipur visit Architectopedia. visit our insta page.