Kanchanjunga apartments are one of the famous housing projects designed by Charles Correa located in Mumbai. Kanchanjunga apartment consists of 32 luxury apartments which are a response of the current urban development of the Mumbai city.
|Project name||Kanchanjunga apartments|
|Location||Cumbala Hill, Mumbai|
|Year of construction||1983|
- Kanchanjunga Apartments is oriented toward the East-West side so that the building can catch the sea-breeze.
- The design and orientation of the building are done towards the seaside so that it will get the best viewpoint from the house.
- The drawback of the orientation of the building is that the direction of the sea- breeze, and view is also the direction of hot sun and monsoon rain.
- So Charles Correa designed a veranda at which will work as the first line of difference for a house.
- Designing of deep Varanda and open balcony creates a protective layer for the living room.
- Kanchanjunga apartments is a 28 story luxurious residential building consists of the different typology of houses varying from 3BHK to 6BHK.
- Kanchanjunga apartments are one of the finest high rise housing projects in India.
- The main idea of Charles Correa for this building is to give a resident feeling of a luxurious bungalow in high rise buildings.
- If we talk about the planing of the building, it is designed in the centre of the site with a protective green landscape around the building.
- Landscaping around the building creates a passive cooling effect for a building.
- Kanchanjunga is located in the main city center having roads on many sides. Traffic jams always happen on the roads lead to substantial noise pollution on the site.
- Trees on all sides of the building help in reducing noise pollution on the site.
- The slip method of construction is used in kanchanjunga apartments.
- Designed as a concept of “Through Ventilation”, of Kanchanjunga apartments.
- Charles Correa thinks that dealing with the environment and dealing with energy is much more than building a glass structure and using low yield glass to get a lead certificate.
- Each house in kanchanjunga apartment provided with the two-story garden terrace.
- Cross ventilation works very effectively in the building helps in reducing the heat gain.
- In this figure, you can clearly see a sufficient amount of natural light is coming inside the house.
- The surface at the one end cut away to create a double-height space which gives a whole new sense to high rise buildings.
- Slab drop is given to the terrace gardens for plantations.
- A great deal of transparency has been achieved by using a large opening in Kanchanjunga apartment.
- The whole structure of kanchanjunga apartments is made of reinforced cement concrete.
- Each house has a 6.3 m cantilevered open terrace garden.
- The central core is consists of lift, the staircase provides the main structural element for resisting lateral load.
Materials and colors
- Warm color is used in the terrace garden of kanchanjunga.
- Warm colors make space look bigger, more open and inviting.
Kanchanjunga apartments plan
- Total 4 house typologies are there in kanchanjunga.
- Type A is a 3BHK house having a carpet area of 294 sq.m.
- Type B is a 3BHK house having a carpet area of 242 sq.m.
- Type C is a 5BHK house having a carpet area of 373 sq.m.
- Type D is a 4BHK house having a carpet area of 361 sq.m.
- Different types of square compositions are designed in the elevation which gives it aesthetical uniqueness.
https://identityhousing. wordpress. com/2009/12/03/charles-Correa-Kanchenjunga-apartments-cumballa-hill-Mumbai-1970-1983/